Thursday, November 21, 2013

Black Women are Awesome

It is funny how I spent my early years being concerned with how people mistreated me.  Family members were not always nice either.  I grew up thinking that the world was out to get me. Sadly, thanks to the people I had surrounded myself with... it was.  Now that I am older and had the opportunity to change my location I have a plethora of really good friends, and almost all of them are black women.




I am friends with some really awesome ladies.  My local friends are supportive, sweet, and caring.  They support me in whatever I am doing and they are a support system for me when I am going through it.  My friends have helped me get jobs, they have babysat my kids and they have been through three high risk pregnancies with me.  I truly love them.  My closest friend and I are the same age and she is wonderful.  We commiserate over reality tv, our husbands, and our children.   I honestly don't know where I would be without her.

The older black women in my life have served as mentors and dear friends.  They have shown me where I was wrong and helped me to realize my potential and have been supportive in innumerable ways.  Many have stepped in as surrogate mothers when I needed them most.  They have held me as I cried and faced some of the most difficult situations in my life like the death of my father and my mother's illnesses.  They are my go to people for issues with child rearing and when I just need to vent about my children and the stressors of marriage and daily life.  These are women who have stepped in and treated me as if I belonged to them.  Their support is immeasurable.

My online sister friends also serve a purpose in my life.  We have supported each other financially and spiritually.  My twitter friends have sent postcards to my children so that they can aspire to travel.  They have supported my kids' fundraisers and sent me flowers at work when I got a promotion.  They are some of the awesomest people on this earth.

Black girls, are not the only ones that rock.  Black women do too.  They are feirce.



No comments: